Luckily I was able to deal with the issue with some careful wetsanding, then re-primed the affected areas with P3's black primer. It's far superior in my opinion. It's a shame that I can't buy Osh primer up here in Canada. After I airbrushed, then did the usual thing where I have to get rid of the "suede texture" that the Tamiya paint leaves behind for me, it was better. Then as with the bikes I painted the Boltgun Metal and the red (hurricane bolters on the Dark Talon) I did a wash through the airbrush with the thinned Badab Black. I wasn't happy as there was a bit of a tide mark left, which hasn't happened before. Cleaned it up though, with some careful application of a 50/50 mix of black paint and black wash.
I wanted to get the wing panels to look something like they do on the box. Well, the Nephilim wings anyway. I do like the look of the Dark Talon, but that is a lot of work. I tried to mask off the statuary bits on the fuselage bit it was a LOT of work, and there are - for me anyway - a lot of awkward spots and corners to get the masking tape trimmed around. I will brush paint that stuff as best I can.
Yes. Hilarious amounts of blue painter's tape. The green stuff was from the dollar store and just STUNK. Didn't stick worth a damn either. I was quite worried that when I took the tape off that the adhesive would affect the paint. Didn't, though.
I decided to try some of Vallejo's Model Air line for airbrushing the wing panels. I bought the white and cerulean blue from Imperial Hobbies, a local hobby store that has a LARGE range of materials for all kinds of scale model, miniature, board game and card game hobbyist. They're also sponsors of Foodhammer too!
I also bought some of Vallejo's surface primer too. I'll have to play with it to see how it works for me.
I gave the wings a few thin layers of the white until it was pretty much opaque, then I switched to the blue, using a pre-shading technique to hit the rear edges of the wing panels. After that, I just dusted the wings with the white until it reached a point where there was a slight fade into the blue.
Before I took the tape off, I didn't think it looked that great because I was just looking at a lot of white with a little bit of blue. I had not considered the contrast that the black would give. But when it came off - WOW! I'm very happy with it.
As you can see, the wings look great. I'm hopeful that the rest of the painting goes just as well and each model just pops. That's as far as I am with them right now. Taking a distraction break while I build a Dakkajet for the Waaagh! of Hamish, my 7 year old Warboss. I'll be putting the third twin linked Supashoota on it, but I need to find a way to Ork up the mounts for that third weapon. Hopefully the Nephilim will be finished quite quickly. I imagine the Dark Talon will take a little longer :-)