As I have four Ravenwing battleforces, I wasn't short of parts to make Sammael's AV14 Landspeeder of amazingness. I went ahead and ordered a barebones Landspeeder body from The War Store which suited my needs. Of course, it is one of the older bodies. Not a big deal actually. I've built a couple and have figured out the foibles and niggles of assembling these "bloody things".
I think I've more or less worked out where I need to trim and sand to get the best fit possible. Then I went to work with the Squadron brand green putty. After that had dried and was sanded I did the fine work with Tamiya White Putty. You can see the result above. I should not be able to see the join once the primer is on.
|The antenna doodad was awkward too and took a fair amount of filling.|
One more thing - I HATE the GW flying bases. I'm sure I'm not the only person on the planet who feels this way. They give you a long stalk and a short stalk with the base, and inevitably the stalk snaps at one end or the other. The other thing is that the model is so unstable on the top of the stalk and spins around and lolls to one side. Crap. They made an improvement with the ball and socket thing but even that wears after a while.
S6 engineering in the UK has a unique solution and it involves magnets. It's secure too! They're quite easy to assemble after some test fitting and filing. I wouldn't recommend using a CA or plastic glue to assemble the base though as the acrylic did cloud up on me where I glued the magnets in place. But you can't see it unless you pick the model up. Meh.
Sammael was relatively easy to source the bits for. I used the commander armour with the high collar and a power sword from the Dark Angels veteran kit. Easy peasy! I won't put the hood ornament on it as I think they look silly. The scrolls and such though will fit the model and as it will never come off the base, there's no problem with them hanging low.
Next blog I'll be talking about the Deathwing Command Squad some more.